Lloyd Borrett :: Resume
Lloyd Borrett, 2012
(This résumé is also available in
and Microsoft Word formats,
or view my profile page on re.vu!.)
To find a challenging and rewarding position
with a forward thinking company where I can make valuable contributions
to their growth, strategy formulation and business outcomes.
Then as a hands-on change agent, use my marketing, communications,
online sales, social media, information technology, management,
business skills and understanding of the Internet to enable the
organisation to effect the chosen growth strategies, plans and tactics.
A versatile, results-orientated, hands-on executive who
has succeeded for more than thirty-five years in a variety
of progressively responsible and challenging assignments in
the information and high technology sectors.
Has demonstrated sound business
judgement, decisiveness and well developed communication,
analytical and planning skills at a consistently high level of performance.
Skills & Expertise
- Online Sales (B2C & B2B):
- eCommerce, Cart Optimisation;
- Marketing (B2C & B2B):
- Marketing Management, Competitive Analysis,
- Services Marketing, Product Marketing,
- Marketing Strategy, Product Development,
- Brand Development, Collateral Material Development;
- Online Marketing:
- Social Media Marketing,
- Online Advertising, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO),
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Pay Per Click (PPC),
- Content Management, Analytics,
- Website Management / Development / Optimisation;
- Email Marketing:
- EDMs, Deliverability, CRM Integration,
- Email Optimisation, Email Testing;
- Social Media, Public Relations,
- Media Spokesperson, Public Speaking,
- Press Releases, Press Conferences,
- Corporate Communications, Media Relations,
- Online PR, Online Communities,
- Communications Strategy, Thought Leadership,
- Reputation Management, Merger Communications,
- Crisis Management, Risk Management;
- Strategic Planning, Project Management,
- Business Relationship Management, Stakeholder Engagement,
- Internet Security.
An independent, professional evaluation, described
Lloyd's personal characteristics as…
Confident, assertive, decisive, tactful and creative
with high level presentation and communication skills.
Consultative leader who is realistic and practical and
concerned with the well being of others. Measured
intellectual abilities place him in the top 5% in verbal and
numerical intelligence, and the top 1% in abstract
Cortex IT Labs
- Global Marketing Manager; Nov-11 – Feb-12
- Security Evangelist; Jan-10 – Oct-11
- Marketing Manager; Nov-07 – Jun-10
- Founder; Dec-05 – Present
ITR Group (inc. Infopeople &
The Peer Partnership)
- General Manager, Business Innovation; Feb-05 – Nov-05
Monash.NET (now Readify)
- Communications / Operations Manager May-03 – Oct-03
- National Marketing Manager Mar-00 – Mar-03
- IT Manager Jun-01 – Mar-03
Expert Software Services (now Infosys)
- General Manager Jul-98 – Feb-00
- Marketing Manager Apr-96 – Jun-98
- Executive Director Dec-98 – Feb-00
- National Marketing Manager Jul-95 – Mar-96
- Marketing Manager Victoria Apr-94 – Jun-95
Australian Surveying and Land Information Group
- Product Sales Manager Jun-91 – Feb-94
MicroHelp Computers & Communications
- National Marketing Manager Jun-88 – Apr-91
- General Manager Aug-87 – May-88
Repco (Australia) Pty Ltd
- General Manager Business Development May-87 – Aug-87
- National Product & Marketing Manager Mar-86 – May-87
- National Manager Technical & Customer Services Jan-85
BHP Information Systems
- Personal Computer Specialist Feb-83 – Jan-85
- Performance Control Officer Oct-82 – Feb-83
- Senior Systems Programmer Aug-81 – Oct-82
- Technical Systems Programmer Dec-80 – Aug-81
- Technical Programmer Dec-77 – Dec-80
- Trainee Technical Programmer Jan-77 – Dec-77
Peter Cameron, CEO, AVG (AU/NZ)
(Lloyd reported to Peter at AVG AU/NZ)
"During his four years with the
Avalanche Technology Group (AVG AU/NZ), Lloyd provided strong
leadership to our marketing team, more recently taking ownership
of our PR and communications role. Lloyd attacks his work with
passion and determination. Lloyd's skill set is broad.
He has strong web skills, understands marketing, was able
to quickly grasp the concepts behind security and turn himself
into one of Australia's leading spokesman on security.
A talented individual and a nice man."
Phil Sim, CEO, MediaConnect Australia
(Phil ran media events at which Lloyd spoke.)
"Having watched him speak at our events,
Lloyd has an ability to engage an audience and build relationships
with media, based primarily around his excellent subject knowledge
and his very authentic personal appeal. I've also spoken to Lloyd
for articles I have written on technology marketing, because
Lloyd has such a well-developed understanding of marketing,
particularly in an online environment and the underlying importance
of measuring and achieving return on investment."
Jas Dhaliwal, Head of Social Media Communities, AVG Technologies
(Jas was head of AVG’s worldwide social media programs when working with Lloyd.)
"Lloyd has been a fantastic partner
to work with in helping us to spread AVG's message far and wide
using social media. He completely understands the medium and
is able to make compelling content that resonates with a global audience."
Pat Bitton, Global Communications, AVG Technologies
(Pat was head of AVG’s worldwide communications programs when working with Lloyd.)
"Lloyd is a communication professional's dream
— he jumps at media opportunities, is always on message, and simply
oozes enthusiasm for his subject. No hesitation in recommending him!"
Alan Singer, Non-Executive Director, ITR Group
(Alan is a co-founder and Non-Executive Director of ITR Group, working
"In a very short period of time, in a rapidly growing
and changing context, Lloyd has managed to capture the essence of this
emerging enterprise (the ITR Group) and all its' constituent business
units and Lloyd has produced business profiles, web-sites, marketing
strategies, tenders and associated material that is of the highest
quality imaginable. Well done Lloyd!"
Tim Norton, CEO, Omniton
(Tim was a co-founder and joint Managing Director of Oakton,
where Lloyd reported to him.)
"Lloyd is a pro at branding, positioning and channels. He
stands alone with respect to the marketing of professional
services, but at the same time is technologically and
product savvy. Over and above this, he is a true blue Aussie
that you can trust like a mate."
John Quinn, Owner, Moss & Hooper
(John was an Executive
Director of Oakton, where he worked with Lloyd.)
work was instrumental to the effort that enabled Oakton to
successfully list on the Australian Stock Exchange
immediately after the 'dotcom' crash. There can be few more
challenging roles than the IT manager for an IT Consulting
company! His leadership led to coherent systems that
delivered consistently. No challenge seemed too tough and
Lloyd demonstrated a key ability to get things done."
Stephen Frost, IT Manager, Australian
(Stephen was the founder of dXcribe Technologies when
working with Lloyd.)
"I have worked with Lloyd in a number of
roles over the years, from his time at Expert IS right
through to his role at Monash.NET. Lloyd is a fine
individual, highly skilled, well networked, and I would have
no hesitation whatsoever in endorsing any activity he is
Dennis Frankel, Technical Writer / Help Systems
(Dennis was a Technical Writer at Expert
IS, where he worked with Lloyd.)
"Lloyd is a ‘live wire’. He
has the imagination, drive and ambition to see projects
through to the very end. As a Journalist and Editor, I have
found Lloyd’s writing style and level of the grammatical
understanding of the language, very impressive. His written
expression is an example to others. Lloyd is a bright,
intelligent person, and works honestly with people at all
levels. Above all, he is a man of integrity and I’m proud to
call him a friend."
More endorsements can be found on LinkedIn at
For a list of referees, please contact Lloyd Borrett
Cortex I.T. Labs,
Cortex IT Labs (www.cortexit.com) creates backup software that solves
the most pressing backup issues faced by SMBs. The prime product BackupAssist
is the number one choice for literally thousands of VARs, system administrators
and businesses in over 120 countries.
30 person, private company, February 2012.
Global Marketing Manager
Nov-11 – Feb-12
Overall responsibility for global marketing
and online sales activities including SEO, SEM, PR and communications,
and strategic market development activities.
- Started to create a fully integrated online sales,
marketing and communications plan.
- Revised and relaunched email newsletters.
- Created the branding for two new products and
started developing the messaging and web sites for these products.
- Quality reviewed and instigated changes to
new mobile platform products, plus created product Quick Start Guides.
- Managed the review and revamp of all SEM activities, plus the use of analytics.
- Normalised all product branding.
- Updated core web sites for enhanced SEO, plus added home page banners.
AVG (AU/NZ) distributes the AVG Technologies
range of Anti-Virus and Internet Security products in the Australian, New Zealand and
South Pacific markets. (www.avg.com.au
18 person, private company, late 2007.
45 person, private company, October 2011 with more than 4 million users and 3500 resellers.
Jun-10 – Oct-11
Built the AVG brand and educated people about online security issues
by leveraging social media, blogs, plus PR and communication skills.
- Devised and executed the AVG (AU/NZ) social media program across
Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and blogs.
- Created and leveraged informative, educational media
releases and YouTube videos which were picked up and used by media outlets
and bloggers worldwide.
- Regularly appeared as a guest on national TV and radio,
plus popular podcasts.
- Sought out speaker for numerous events, business
and community groups, giving security workshops across Australia
and New Zealand.
Nov-07 – Jun-10
Overall responsibility for company web sites,
online sales, marketing, communications, advertising, brand development,
search engine marketing, email marketing, direct marketing and strategic market
- Managed and executed the online sales, SEO, SEM, PPC,
plus social media, PR and marketing activities that resulted in growth
from $5 million to more than $12 million in online sales.
- Innovative online and print advertising campaigns
resulted in an increase from 800 to more than 3,500 resellers.
- Obtained a 20% increase in renewal rates by revamping
and revising renewal email communications, plus optimising the
online renewal process.
- Created, implemented and evolved a fully integrated
online sales, marketing and communications plan for the region.
- Planned and executed product promotions and multi-channel activities.
- Managed several website redesigns, consistently
delivering conversion rate and performance gains.
- Managed data driven web analysis, optimisation and
testing methodologies to drive continuous online improvements.
- Rebranding, collateral design and event management
associated with new product launches.
- Designed, planned and executed exhibits at various
shows and exhibitions, including the annual 6m by 6m stand at CeBIT.
Chaordent is an online sales and marketing,
social media, PR and communications, marketing and technology
professional services company.
Nov-05 – Present
Overall responsibility for everything!
- Created the web sites and online shop for The Scuba Doctor.
Transformed a local dive shop into Australia's largest online dive store
selling nationally and internationally (www.scubadoctor.com.au).
- Created new branding and messaging, built company web sites,
plus produced sales and marketing collateral for numerous SMBs, including:
AESG, Chapman Hill, Insite Architects, Omniton, Pragmatic Training,
WINenergy and The Trust.
The ITR Group was an expanding group
of Australian IT companies delivering specialist core IT
consulting and recruitment solutions. Operating divisions
include Infopeople and The Peer Partnership.
70 person, $25 million private company, February 2005.
General Manager, Business Innovation
Feb-05 – Nov-05
Overall responsibility for business
innovation, marketing and communications.
- Identified new market opportunities and solution offerings
for the ITR Group and its recruitment and IT consulting divisions.
- Re-branded and repositioned, plus produced
new marketing materials and document templates for all divisions.
- Designed and built three new CMS based web sites
for the ITR Group, Infopeople and The Peer Partnership.
Monash.NET is Australia’s foremost
provider of training, consulting, resources and tools for
software developers around Microsoft's .NET framework and
20 person private company, September 2003.
Communications / Operations Manager May-03 – Oct-03
Overall responsibility for company
communications, marketing, advertising, direct marketing and
strategic market development activities. Also responsible
for policies and procedures, plus internal systems.
- Refined and enhanced the web based
client online booking and payment system to make the
process simpler, quicker and more in-step with both
client and business needs.
- Designed, produced and publish a monthly
email newsletter to some 4000+ recipients. Introduced
newsletter subscribe/unsubscribe options to the company
- Cleaned up and extended the email
marketing database to enable targeted promotions to various
key client/prospect segments.
- Took over as webmaster of the Monash.NET
web site (www.monash.net). Introduced a resources section,
plus privacy, terms and copyright statements.
- Created, produced and placed a series of
innovative adverts for a national integrated print advertising
- Designed and produced a set of marketing
posters and training document cover sheets.
- Standardised company branding,
marketing materials and document templates.
- Introduced standard templates for
employment agreements, non-disclosure agreements and
- Took over responsibility for an IT
strategy review and development of an IT strategy plan.
Hired staff to begin introduction of the IT plan.
Oakton Limited, Melbourne
An IT company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
[ASX:OKN], Oakton provides IT solutions for businesses,
mainly in the IT strategy and architecture, customised
software development and systems integration areas. It
plans, designs, builds, implements and manages IT solutions
for clients, plus solves client IT recruitment and
contracting requirements. Among Oakton’s clients are Allianz,
Australia Post, BHP Billiton, BP, GE Capital Finance, CGU
Insurance, Coles Myer, Foster’s Group, NSW Workcover, Origin
Energy, Qantas, Royal & Sun Alliance, United Energy, Telstra
and Texas Utilities, plus numerous New South Wales and
Victorian state government departments and authorities.
60 person, $12 million per year private company, March 2000.
300 person, $45 million per year listed public company,
National Marketing Manager Mar-00 – Mar-03
Overall responsibility for all corporate communications
and strategic market development activities, plus partner
alliances and relationships.
- Managed the re-branding and repositioning of Oakton
prior to going public, plus the design, production and
publication of the company’s Prospectus.
- Identified new market opportunities and trends,
plus devised, created and implemented the ongoing branding,
positioning and service offerings of Oakton and its five divisions.
- Negotiated and implemented a joint venture between
Intel, Microsoft, Dell and Oakton to establish a $1.5
million Innovation Centre.
- Proposed and played a leading role in establishing the
recruitment agency division Oakton People and obtaining
its appointment to the Victorian Government Panel for the
Provision of IT personnel.
- Refined and enhanced proposal materials, plus established
guidelines for bid management.
- Creative oversight of the design process as it relates
to user interfaces, web page layout and navigation, logos,
posters and graphic illustrations production.
- Managed the design and production of annual reports
and other corporate communications, plus all
print-advertising and marketing materials.
- Designed, built and maintained the award winning
Oakton and Oakton People web sites.
Made-over and maintained the Charter Wilson and mPower web sites.
IT Manager Jun-01 – Mar-03
Took on the additional role of IT Manager for internal
systems with overall responsibility for business systems,
application servers and network infrastructure.
- Harnessed the skills of Oakton consultants and managed
them to improve internal systems in terms of security,
administration procedures and contingency planning.
- Established a VPN based WAN between all company
- Managed the integration of systems and network
infrastructure from three major acquisitions.
- Outsourced the hosting of web sites.
- Managed the migration of all servers from MS Windows
NT4 to Windows 2000.
Expert Software Services (now Infosys), Melbourne
Leading provider of application software development and
management services to some of Australia’s most prestigious
corporate and government organizations including: Telstra,
BP Australia, Australia Post, Coles Myer, ANZ Bank, National
Australia Bank, Crown Limited, Village Roadshow, South East
Water Limited, Dept of Justice Victoria and HPA.
8 person, $600,000 per year business, April 1996.
130 person, $20 million per year business, January 2000.
General Manager Jul-98 – Feb-00
Responsible for implementing and/or overseeing new
strategic business initiatives, plus managing the company so
as to remain highly profitable whilst achieving growth of
over 100% per annum.
- Devised, proposed, negotiated and established a joint
venture between Microsoft, Dell and Expert Software Services
to establish the first Windows DNA Development Lab outside
of the USA.
- Key role in establishing the successful Database Services
profit centre, plus the recruitment agency business Expert People.
- Successfully implemented a strategy to introduce a tier
of business unit managers into the company, plus expansion
- Devised and managed a human resources and recruitment
strategy to fuel the company’s rapid growth. Staff
satisfaction rate, as measured in an annual survey, was 100%
satisfied and 65% highly satisfied. Staff turnover rate
never exceeded 5% per annum.
- Implemented strategy to change from a 20/80 to 80/20
permanent to contractor staff ratio. Put in place an
industry-leading training and career development programme
for all staff. More than 70% of staff had Microsoft and/or
Marketing Manager Apr-96 – Jun-98
Partnered with the Managing Director in
all strategic decision making and planning activities. Key
responsibility for all business development, general
management, recruitment, human resources, logistics, partner
alliance, account management, contract negotiation, sales
and marketing activities.
- Established and managed an effective partner alliance
with Microsoft. Caused Microsoft to choose Expert as its
partner in a $250,000 national road show in mid 1998.
Chosen to present keynote presentation to audience of 1200
people at TechEd ’97. Microsoft alliance attributable for
over 75% of company revenue.
- Prepared Expert’s entry, which was chosen as a
finalist, in the Telstra and Victorian Government Small
Business Awards 1997.
- Designed, built and maintained the informative Expert
Software Services web site (www.expert.com.au). Web site
selected as one of only 50 finalists in Microsoft’s
international “Activate the Internet” contest for 1996.
- Devised, created and implemented the overall image,
values and style of the company. Designed and produced all
print-advertising and marketing materials. Selected PR
Protech Australia, Melbourne
National computing and communications company.
Manufacturer of PC workstations and leading systems
integrator and IT systems consultant. Total solutions
focus in consulting, design, installation and management
of IT systems for national clients, large system
integration contracts and major outsourcing roles in the
government and corporate sectors.
130 person, $50 million per year business, March 1996.
National Marketing Manager
Jul-95 – Mar-96
General responsibilities included developing Protech
Australia's national image and profile within the
corporate and government market sectors. Also to ensure
all staff present a consistent image and message of the
Specific duties included: developing a national
integrated marketing strategy; producing product, service
and company literature; developing and implement national
marketing programmes; and reduce duplication and wastage
of marketing expenditure.
Key product ranges marketed included: Protech, Techway,
Compaq, Toshiba and AT&T personal computers; HP, Epson,
Canon, Kyocera and TI printers; Bay Networks, Cisco, Intel
and NetComm communications equipment; Novell NetWare and
Microsoft Windows NT Server network operating systems; and
Microsoft and Lotus Development office automation software
Key services marketed included: Business Process
Re-engineering and Information Technology consulting
services; system integration and migration services; Lotus
Notes groupware development, installation and maintenance;
network consultancy, installation and maintenance;
engineering services; software support; education
services; and total service agreements.
- Devised and implemented an integrated marketing plan
designed to push the move from a “product orientated”
company into a national, market driven LAN/WAN systems
integration and IT professional services business.
- Introduced a Project Estimating Model and Proposal
Presentation Kit for use on all tenders and major
- Created a comprehensive set of innovative company,
product and service literature and presentations using
CorelDRAW!, Adobe Photoshop, MS Word and MS PowerPoint.
Documents stored in a self-developed, nationally
accessible Lotus Notes database.
- Introduced a Corporate Identity Manual with supporting
MS Word templates and implemented a make over and
standardisation of company stationery.
- Designed and created Protech Australia Online, an
Internet World Wide Web based service. Established an
intranet WWW, FTP and Gopher server using MS Internet
Server, MS SQL Server and MS Windows NT Server.
Marketing Manager Victoria
Apr-94 – Jul-95
Responsible for all Victorian marketing activities.
Most programmes adopted nationally.
- Designed, implemented and managed a customer and
marketing database of over 3,500 contacts using Tracker
for Windows. Introduced a Data Entry Standards manual.
- Published “Protech News” magazine as a direct
marketing device to prospective and existing customers
- Planned, promoted, developed, managed and measured the
highly successful “Directions” seminar series, plus all
- Managed regular customer events: golf day, driver
training day, sports luncheon etc.
- Repositioned and re-branded the Protech computer range
as the “NetSet” and “GoSet” series complete with product
literature and public relations campaign.
Australian Surveying and Land
Information Group (AUSLIG), Melbourne
Business unit of the Commonwealth Department of Arts
and Administrative Services.
300 person, $40 million per year business, February 1994.
Product Sales Manager Jun-91 –
General responsibilities of this position included
preparing and monitoring the business plan for a $2 million
project to map, digitise and produce as a geographic
information system (GIS) ready dataset the official
Australia Post Postcode boundaries.
Specific duties included: developing business plans,
defining market needs, preparing operating budgets and sales
objectives, packaging and marketing product, establishing a
distribution channel, defining price structures, and
conducting license negotiations.
- Completed a well-received three-month primary and
secondary market research study.
- Presented a comprehensive business plan which
incorporated detailed financial models built using MS
Excel and Ronstadt's Financials. Methodology and structure
used was subsequently adopted as the AUSLIG corporate
- Redefined product specifications based on market
research results and negotiations with the production
teams. Produced computer programs to benchmark datasets
against comparable products and revised specifications.
- Devised an integrated packaging and branding system
that was adopted for all AUSLIG data products. Briefed a
design agency to implement this. Introduced a “Certificate
of Quality Assurance” into the production and delivery
- Desktop published four comprehensive Postcode
Boundaries User Guides, using Ventura Publisher and
Micrografx Designer, which set new standards
internationally for GIS data documentation.
- Created Postcode demonstrations and case studies
featuring demographic data analysis and thematic mapping
on both PCs and DEC workstations using the MapInfo, Atlas
GIS, ArcView and ARC/INFO geographic information systems.
- Produced innovative animated product presentations for
use by sales teams, distributors, dealers and prospects
using MS PowerPoint and MS Visual Basic. Introduced a
standard methodology for all AUSLIG sales and marketing
- Accepted invitations to make presentations at direct
marketing and GIS industry seminars. Coordinated an
extensive publicity campaign. Organised and manned stands
at industry exhibitions. Managed a post-release direct
mail campaign using MS Access.
- Teamed with the National Sales Manager to negotiate
license agreements worth over $1 million with commonwealth
government departments and software manufacturers.
Identified, pursued and closed other major new business
- Changed AUSLIG's emphasis from direct data sales to
supporting a distribution channel. Established a national
network of some twenty distributors and dealers for AUSLIG
data products. Negotiated an increase in royalties
received from 10% to 70%.
- Introduced an AUSLIG Distributor Operations Manual to
formalise the agreements, guidelines, procedures and
services provided to distributors by AUSLIG's Customer
- Created a comprehensive Postcode Boundaries
Distributor Sales Kit for use by sales staff of
distributors, AUSLIG and Australia Post.
- Proposed a Lotus Notes based solution to improve
national sales/marketing, project and client management
and obtained approval for a $150K pilot project.
MicroHelp Computers & Communications,
Leading PC dealership in the corporate and
government sectors with special expertise in LAN/WAN and
40 person, $15 million per year business, April 1991.
National Marketing Manager
Jun-88 – Apr-91
General responsibilities included developing,
implementing and controlling marketing efforts throughout
Australia. Specific duties included: liaison with
manufacturers and distributors, product evaluation and
selection, preparing marketing plans, marketing products
and services, and provision of advice to sales, support
and service staff.
Key product ranges marketed included: IBM and Compaq
personal computers; Fujitsu, NEC and HP printers; 3Com,
BICC, Retix, Synoptics and NetComm communications
equipment; 3Com 3Plus, IBM LAN Server, and Microsoft LAN
Manager network operating systems; and Microsoft, Borland,
Ashton-Tate, Lotus Development and WordPerfect software
Key services marketed included: network consultancy,
installation and maintenance; hardware maintenance;
software support; training; and total service agreements.
- Instituted a cohesive, focused marketing strategy to
identify lucrative markets, penetrate key decision makers
and build a loyal client base. Involved in gaining IBM and
Compaq dealerships and winning major financial sector
- Designed, implemented and managed a local area network
based, multi-user customer and marketing database of some
7,000 contacts used to drive all marketing activities.
- Desktop published various company publications and
marketing materials using Ventura Publisher and CorelDraw.
The “Technical Cornucopia” newsletter was highly sought
after by senior customer management for its clear
explanations of technical issues.
- Marketed, organised and conducted innovative
“Technology Update” seminars for corporate and government
customers (e.g. VicRoads, State Bank Victoria, Colonial
mutual, RMIT, Norwich Union, Telecom, Attorney-General's
- Strategic role in the start-up of associated
• AccPro (PC based accounting solutions)
• DistribuTECH (printer distributor)
• Galacticomm Australia (PC communications hardware & software)
- Conceived, established and managed Australia's first
on-line retail shopping mall, plus The Computer Supply
Store, an on-line PC retailer.
- Contributed to the marketing and product specialist
requirements of other associated companies:
• Microbee (PC manufacturer and retailer)
• The Smart Shop (PC retailer)
• Powertech International (networking & communications distributor)
Univex Corporation, Melbourne
Small computer dealer, software house, and
microcomputer based product developer.
5 person, $1.5 million per year business, May 1988.
General Manager Aug-87 – May-88
Responsible for sales, logistics and customer service.
Univex imported and sold quality Taiwanese IBM compatible
PCs to the corporate and government sectors. Univex
developed unique software solutions, including a fully
integrated multi-user accounting system. Univex also
designed and produced prototypes of many microcomputer
- Successfully sold a highly profitable three-year PC
rental arrangement to major corporate accounts (e.g. ICI,
Dept. of Veterans' Affairs).
Repco (Australia) Pty Ltd,
Start-up of a national computer venture.
General Manager Business Development
May-87 – Aug-87
Recruited by the Chairman of Repco to begin creating
and manage the implementation of a national, vertically
integrated, computer business venture through acquisition
- Prepared the strategic plan and liaised with financial
- Planned and managed discussions with target business
- Managed negotiations with leading manufacturers and
HiSoft Computers, Melbourne
Leading national PC dealership.
25 person, $5 million per year business, January 1985.
120 person, $35 million per year business, May 1987.
National Product and Marketing Manager
Mar-86 – May-87
General responsibilities included developing,
implementing and controlling all marketing and prospective
sales efforts in four states. Specific duties included:
preparing and monitoring operating budgets and sales
objectives, liaison with manufacturers and distributors,
product evaluation and selection, and provision of advice
to sales, support and service staff.
- Proposed, established and managed the highly
productive HiSoft Direct sales and marketing 5-strong team
as a contributing profit centre. Highly profitable within
three months by delivering a 40% increase in sales of
add-on products and winning major new corporate and
government accounts. First-year sales of $5 million.
- Designed, implemented and managed a customer and
marketing database of over 5,000 contacts using Symantec
- Published “HiSoft Direct” magazine as a direct
marketing device to prospective and existing customers.
Funded by manufacturers and distributors.
- Marketed, organised and conducted regular seminars for
customers and prospects (e.g. HBA, ANZ Bank, Victoria
Police, Telecom, Education Department).
National Manager Technical & Customer
Services Jan-85 – Mar-86
Total responsibility for the management of the
technical and customer services profit centre handling all
products and services including: Novell networks; general
PC software products; general and vertical market in-house
developed accounting packages; IBM, Compaq and Olivetti
personal computers; Epson, Fujitsu and HP printers; and NetComm and Irma communication products.
Also responsible for the purchasing, inventory control
and shipping operations in Victoria.
- As the focal point for customer satisfaction at HiSoft,
created and enforced customer service follow-up procedures
to prevent and resolve customer problems and enhance
overall morale and productivity. Within 6-months customer
complaints dropped 50%, retention of customers with
problems increased from 45% to over 90% and employee
turnover radically declined to less than 10%.
- Significantly reduced stock-on-hand, dead stock and
production overheads by creating and enforcing an
effective stock control system. Established a first-rate
logistics function which achieved delivery targets. • As
head of HiSoft's $20 million purchasing operation,
introduced an aggressive multiple-sourcing program which
improved the overall margins by 9%.
- Recruited, trained and managed an enthusiastic
15-strong team comprised of professional, technical,
clerical and manual staff operating as a successful profit
BHP Information Systems, Melbourne
Personal Computer Specialist Feb-83 – Jan-85
Advised on the establishment of End User Computing
support teams at major company sites. Established
guidelines for the justification and purchasing of
personal computers. Negotiated company wide contracts with
suppliers. Evaluated and selected products. Produced a
regular newsletter to inform end-user computing staff and
users of industry trends and developments.
Performance Control Officer
Oct-82 – Feb-83
Responsible for performance control on IBM and Control
Data mainframes, plus DG minicomputers.
Senior Systems Programmer Aug-81
Managed a team of six Data General systems programmers
supporting commercial, technical and general systems
software on over fifty AOS and AOS/VS based minicomputer
- Recruited computer science graduates and trained them
in the ways of real-world systems programming.
- Extended the working life of all minicomputers by
developing the monitoring and tuning tools and
methodologies that produced a 30% reduction in system
- Designed and installed the first X.25 based LAN/WAN
networks in Australia.
Technical Systems Programmer
Dec-80 – Aug-81
Lead a team of three Data General systems programmers
supporting technical and general systems software on over
thirty minicomputers nationwide.
- Produced significant cost savings through increased
productivity, lower maintenance costs and the extended
life of programs by introducing the use of high-level
languages wherever possible.
- Established productive client rapport, generated
satisfied clients and developed a reputation for
delivering projects on-time.
Technical Programmer Dec-77 –
Member of a team of four developing BHP Petroleum's Oil
and Gas Seismic Exploration system on Data General
minicomputers running the AOS operating system.
Responsible for the digitising and data input sub-systems,
plus as systems management and systems programming
services. (The system was successfully sold to other oil
companies e.g. Woodside Petroleum.)
- Assisted in the porting of a comprehensive griding and
contouring package written in FORTRAN to the Data General
AOS operating system. Managed the project to develop a
screen based front-end for this package.
- Designed and implemented a survey data reduction
system for the processing of surveyor's field notes.
- Created and documented a general purpose library of
FORTRAN sub-routines which greatly increased team
productivity and were later adopted as a BHP wide
Trainee Technical Programmer
Jan-77 – Dec-77
Programming for the BHP Minerals Mine Planning System
in RDOS multi-user Extended BASIC on a Data General
Eclipse S200 minicomputer.
1995–Present — Private web site
(www.borrett.id.au) was selected by the Microsoft FrontPage
team in January 2001 as one of the five best personal web
sites worldwide that they had seen built with Microsoft
FrontPage 2000. Web site traffic has peaked at more than
500,000 hits per day.
1991 — Key role in the design, writing, production
and presentation of a pilot television program about
computers for ABC TV, SBS and Channel 10.
1984–1991 — Established Australia's first MS-DOS
based Bulletin Board System, PC Connection Australia in
1984. Later the system was expanded to support 12 customers
on-line and interacting with each other. Pioneered online sales shops. Over 2,500 people
paid to use the service on a regular basis.
1983–1987 — Started the “Your IBM Computer” column
for Your Computer magazine in 1983. Was a columnist for
Today's Computer magazine, and a contributor to other
national publications 1985–87. Was a regular panel member on
the “Computer Cafe” show on Radio 3AW in 1985.
1978–1979 — An interest in music, Hi-Fi and
electronics led to part-time work as a recording engineer
Attended courses and workshops on: business planning;
budget preparation; time management; negotiation skills;
staff performance assessment; sales and marketing
management; direct marketing; graphic art and design;
project management; AOS and AOS/VS internals; structured
systems design; PRIDE project design, planning and control
methodology; speed reading; and performance control.
Designed and presented courses for PC users such as:
Introduction to PCs, Introduction to DOS, Introduction to
Desktop Publishing, Ventura, PageMaker, WordPerfect,
MultiMate, Lotus 1-2-3 and PC Communications.
Regular speaker on Internet security issues at events,
plus on national TV and radio 2008–11.
Keynote presentation to 1200 people at Microsoft TechEd
’97 in Melbourne.
Regular speaker at Geographic Information System and
Direct Marketing conferences 1991–94.
Regular speaker on the Information Technology seminar
circuit 1982–86. Topics included the control and
administration of personal computers, PC communications,
networking, and distributed processing.
First Year of Degree in Computer Science,
R.M.I.T., Melbourne 1979–1980
- Major project was a Pascal compiler written in Pascal
for Data General minicomputers.
HSC, Hellyer College, Burnie, Tasmania 1975
- Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science.
Past member of the Australian Computer Society and the
Association for Computing Machinery (USA).
Past associate member of the I.E.E.E. Computer Society
Founder, inaugural President and honorary life member of
the Melbourne PC User Group — the world's largest such user group.
Founding member and Secretary of the Bass Strait
Aquatic Club (www.bsac.org.au).
Committee member, editor and web master
for the Victorian Sub-Aqua Group (VSAG) (www.vsag.org.au).
Secretary and web master for the
Victorian Artificial Reef Society (VARS) (www.vars.org.au
Lloyd Robert Borrett
Born 22 July 1956, Whyalla, South Australia.
Male. In a relationship.
Interests include scuba diving, Internet, computing,
reading, music, concerts, theatre, movies, sailing and gliding (assistant instructor).
Monday, 01 April 2013