Lloyd Robert Borrett

search

Lloyd Borrett's Web Site Forum Index Lloyd Borrett's Web Site
Forums related to this web site, Petals Around the Rose and other topics, for you to enjoy!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone truly have the answer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lloyd Borrett's Web Site Forum Index -> Fraternity of Petals Around the Rose
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hay.mail@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Does anyone truly have the answer? Reply with quote

For those of you who have the "answer", how do you know that this answer is in fact correct? Unless you have cheated and checked out the source code, then you have based your answer on observations. The answer if far from proved correct.
matt17

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an answer, it is rather simple in fact. once you find it, you will look at yourself and laugh. it is actually very simple..dont think too logically. enjoy Smile
hay.mail@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh yeah, I have the "answer". My point is a more philosophical one. How do you know that the answer is correct?
Erised

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont know ... doesnt make it any less fun though Wink I've got "an" answer, but have no clue if this is indeed what the people meant Razz I see your point here ... this could confuse a lot Wink

I think the answer they were thinking off is pretty much the same as my answer, though probably described by different words. The name makes me think my answer is close though.
hay.mail@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the only guy who truly knows the answer is the guy who invented the game. (Or she could be a gal.) As by the rules of the game, you never tell anyone the answer so there is no way for it to propagate.
pradnk

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me around half an hour to figure it out and i must say it IS the right answer and i am sure of it. The ONLY clue required is the name of the game. Very very interesting i must say. Laughing
MoonDog

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: "How do you know that the answer is correct?" Question Rolling Eyes In school I was taught when a correct result was reached, the correct method was used. I cannot imagine a philosophical take on this. Sorry, not meant to be a slur, or anything like. If you have the solution, enjoy with those who don't !! (and do, like here!) Laughing

Cheers!!~~~MoonDog
hay.mail@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what kind of school you went to then. Generally in mathematics, the method is at least as important as the result.

In this case, the "answer" appears to give you the correct result every time but if the original inventor of the game included a condition that every millionth roll had the result "fish" then does your answer still work? Your answer would work for 999,999 rolls then suddenly it would be wrong. You would have no way of knowing that it was wrong until the millionth roll.

This is a problem that all physics theories have to face. They can never fully determine the behaviour of the universe, they can only offer an approximation that is correct almost all of the time.
MoonDog

PostPosted: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never studied physics, so in your thinking I way over simplified, but here in such simple math, 10 million tries will be the same, unless someone changes the rules of simple addition along the way.... Shocked or, throws in a "new" die cube, without the players seeing, shame to the thought!! Mad

As far as the universe is concerned, I will definitely leave those issues up to you folk in quantumphysicshighermathmumbojumbo to work it out! Cool I do agree that the method is important, for in teasers such as this one, the fun is not the solution, but the DOING! Laughing The answer is boring, like it's over Sad Out of curiosity, do you have the simple solution, or one of a few "calculus" types I have heard of?

Cheers to you hay.mail!! Exclamation MoonDog
mc24757

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hay.mail@btinternet.com wrote:
Uh yeah, I have the "answer". My point is a more philosophical one. How do you know that the answer is correct?

Whats funny is that it took me a long long time to figure this out, once I did it was like duh. But I figured it out with a purely mathematical sense...
I actually set it up like an algebra problem. It took awhile and didn't make sense for a long time until I got a yahtzee (AKA 5 of the same die) then it all came together for me.
MoonDog

PostPosted: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mc.......

Interesting how the mind works eh? Simple logic and first things first did it for me! The rose.

Cheerio.....

MoonDog Cool
dwolve

PostPosted: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about philosophy in this game... But I do know my solution I used is the most basic concept for it. Like they say, the tittle says it all.
MoonDog

PostPosted: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it dwolve, the rose it one key, and that one can see answers is equal, in my view. Philosophy? I see none here either..... Shocked ...someone does.......

MoonDog
KathieL711

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonDog wrote:
You got it dwolve, the rose it one key, and that one can see answers is equal, in my view. Philosophy? I see none here either..... Shocked ...someone does.......

MoonDog

I see absolutely NOTHING in the puzzle that has anything to do with a rose...Nothing....I've tried counting dots, averaging them out, multiplying them, subtracting them. There is no recognizable pattern to this.
MoonDog

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathie, once the solution comes, the "rose" thing will give you a laugh!! Believe me you do not want us to give it away, takes the fun out, and your left feeling wierd!

I keep repeating LOOK AT THE ANSWERS !! That is a "legal" and good clue.

C'mon, 711, rest up and nail it!!

Best, MoonDog Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lloyd Borrett's Web Site Forum Index -> Fraternity of Petals Around the Rose All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: