Lloyd Robert Borrett

search

Lloyd Borrett's Web Site Forum Index Lloyd Borrett's Web Site
Forums related to this web site, Petals Around the Rose and other topics, for you to enjoy!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone truly have the answer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lloyd Borrett's Web Site Forum Index -> Fraternity of Petals Around the Rose
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonDog

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have not seen the meaning of the Rose, email me Ashemon. Cheers~ Cool
Dreygone

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: I know I have it Reply with quote

I have the answer and I'm certain of it.. it works with the name, the even part and it will work with any number of dice.
Upon the dust strewn path of life, good friends are like beautiful flowers in the desert. They smell sweet, and be wonderful to be around, but be careful with them. For if you demolish one, the next one may not be around for a long time.
MoonDog

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Congrat's!! n/t Reply with quote

jlhorner1974

PostPosted: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, solved this analytically. At first, I was frustrated looking for patterns.

Then I tried to focus on a particular case -- so I tried the obvious one, looking at all rolls with a result of 0. I rolled enough times that I got about ten rolls with a result of 0 and tried to figure out what they all had in common that all of the other rolls did not. Once I realized what it was, I know what to focus on.

Then, I looked at the high valued rolls, like 14 or 16, and now since I knew what was NOT important to solve the problem, it was easy to see the pattern and determine what the result was for any given roll.
Arby

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically there are a few different answers that will work.
The inventer obviously intended the one that most people are using, as the correct answer, because it is claimed that even a bright preschooler can get the answer. It's a "thinking outside the box" excersice.

There are obviously mathmatic or computer algorythms for working it out. Given that the question asks how a COMPUTER would work it out:
1. Right click
2. Click "View source"

there you go. Good luck trying to work out what it all means, lol. But, it's just a given that the obviousl solution is the correct one. Of coutse we could be wrong 0.000000000000000000001% of the time but it's obvious that that was not intended. The source code shows that.

Just lighten up and enjoy the puzzle, rather than trying to be smart and claiming that we might not "really" have the answer just because you're pissed that it took ages to figure out, jeez.
Levon

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
HelloRose

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see absolutely NOTHING in the puzzle that has anything to do with a rose...Nothing....I've tried counting dots, averaging them out, multiplying them, subtracting them. There is no recognizable pattern to this.

I believe you, but you didn't find it yet.
Maybe I am a stray thinker, because reading the Bill Gates story (almost two years ago now) I didn't have a clue about what this game could be.
Then one day, I found the name of the game again, this time with a web-applet coupled to it.
I remembered: even numbers, no negatives, name is important : three rols, got it. Then figured out some series ... but it is VERY HARD to play with "real life people": they push, and go on pushing for "an explanation". They can start whining, that they are "dumb" or something, and spoil the fun for others. So we quit playing it with them.

And indeed: once you find out, you 'll say 'OOOH"
lucasorion

PostPosted: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out without even thinking about the name, I just rolled the dice and started to notice patterns. I think with each 8-10 rolls I zeroed in more on it, and got it at about 40 rolls. Then while I was confirming it, I discovered a complementary way of solving (in which the name is significant)
lewis

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be quite common. Some people working out the answer but not getting the connection between the name and the answer. I am one of these people, it took about 15 minutes and even though I have got a 'formula' that works. I still don't see the connection with Petals around the rose. Is there something that half the world is hiding from the rest of us normal sane people. Here is my proof I have a working formula.

5 2 3 6 4 = 6

3 3 5 6 4 = 8

6 2 4 6 1 = 0

4 1 5 6 4 = 4

And supposing that I have five 12-sided dice, here are their answers. Just so that you know I havn't played the game and copied some answers.

7 8 4 10 2 = 6

3 7 11 6 1 = 18

7 7 7 7 7 = 30

So as you can see I do have an answer that works. I am still curious as to how it relates to Petals around the Rose. Is there a popular work of fiction or tale or an old wives tale that helps it make sense? I can kind of see it relating to the name at a stretch of the imagination but it's such a stretch, the name would be a red herring.
Arby

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me your E-mail and i'll send you an explanation ^_^ Since PMing has been disabled on the board.....
lewis

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le w is j ew e l l AY T g m ai l D OTT c o m

Sorry about that but can't be too sure, obviously without the space and replace capital letter with appropriate symbol. Thanks. Does my way count by the way. I'm getting the right answer 100% of the time and it still only takes a glance to realise the answer.
Arby

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully i got the right E-mail, you went a bit OTT with the character seperation there :p

FYI, common anti-spam layout (and the system i use) is:

arbspam AT ntlworld DOT com (one of my accounts) or
arbspam (AT) ntlworld (DOT) com

Makes it far easier to see. Spam bots will still never get it ^_^
Lemme know if you got thte mail ^_^
lewis

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thankyou I got it, my way still works though. The values also work with the petal variation. I wonder if it means people like myself think differently from everyone else. Or we are just strange and should be locked up. Thankyou for that I would have never seen it that way in a million years (Well okay maybe 10).
Arby

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Smile

Actually, there are psychological tests that do things like that, apparently the ones who find alternative methods have creative personalities and think outside the box, and can become great geniouses or end up running big Microsoft-like companies because of their innovation, given the luck and chance!
MrBishop

PostPosted: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the mathematical and calculated guesses is that if the die had been designed differently...the math wouldn't work anymore, eh?
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lloyd Borrett's Web Site Forum Index -> Fraternity of Petals Around the Rose All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: